With only one senior on the team, the Notre Dame de Namur men’s lacrosse team will depend on 18 new players to step up in a big way this season.
Sixteen of the new players are freshmen, playing in their first college games.
“There’s a lot of pressure on the young players, but that’s why they’re here. They want the challenge, and they want to compete,” said Head Coach Kevin Arabejo.
A young team requires a lot of patience and hard work. The coaches have to see how the new players develop and where they fit on the team. Although the team has less experience than last year’s team, senior defender Kyle Milack expects this to be a good year.
“There’s no set stars on the team, so there’s opportunities for the younger guys to step up and make a difference, ” Milack said.
Coming off of an 8-8 campaign in 2014, the Argonauts look to improve their record with the help of the new talent.
“It’s exciting, it’s definitely exciting. To have this many more guys on the roster this year versus last year is huge. We have a lot more depth, which was a big problem for us last year,” Arabejo said.
However, the team hasn’t started off the way that they would’ve liked to. The Argonauts dropped the season home opener to Stanford, 7-12 on February 7.
“We came out flat against Stanford,” Arbejo said, “Competing from the first whistle to the end is something that is a necessity at this level.”
According to Arabejo, the team has worked to cut down on the little mistakes that lead to turnovers and bad shots in their first game. During practice, they work on the little details that will put the team in a position to be successful.
“Although we are young as a team we would like to take our skill sets to a higher level of play and go and win some games against some top teams,” said freshman Nick Gainer.
The Argonauts face the University of Nevada, Reno at Koret Field February 15 at 1 p.m.
Here’s a look at the 2015 men’s lacrosse schedule:
• Feb. 15 vs. Nevada Reno, at Home, at 1 p.m.
• Feb. 21 at Santa Clara, Santa Clara, CA, at 7 p.m.
• Mar. 7 at Franklin Pierce, Rindge, NH, at 1 p.m.
• Mar. 9 at Assumption, Worcester, MA, at 4 p.m.
• Mar. 10 at American International, Springfield, MA, at 3 p.m.
• Mar. 12 at Dominican College (NY), Orangeburg, NY, at 4 p.m.
• Mar. 14 at Post University, Waterbury, CT, at 1 p.m.
• Mar. 20 at University of California, Berkeley, CA, at 7:30 p.m.
• Mar. 22 vs. University of Oregon, Belmont, CA, at 2 p.m.
• Apr. 2 at San Jose State, San Jose, CA, at 7 p.m.
• Apr. 13 at Washington and Jefferson, Washington, PA, at 5 p.m.
• Apr. 14 at Walsh, North Canton, OH, at 4 p.m.
• Apr. 16 at Alderson- Broaddus, Philippi, WV, at 7 p.m.
• Apr. 19 at Wheeling Jesuit, Wheeling, WV, at 12 p.m.
• Apr. 25 vs. Philippines Lacrosse (SENIOR DAY), at Home, at 2 p.m.